Eating out can be challenging when trying to lose weight (or even maintain for that matter). This lesson presents 4 keys to healthy eating out:
- Plan ahead
- Ask for what you want
- Take charge of what's around you
- Choose foods carefully
- Pick where you eat carefully. Go somewhere that you know offers low-fat/calorie choices. If there is a restaurant that is challenging for you - don't go there. Avoid 'all you can eat' places - DANGER!
- Do a little research. Call ahead or look online for nutritional information and choices. Plan what to order before you go so you won't be tempted once there.
- Prepare yourself. If you know you will be eating out later in the week, budget your calories to allow extras for your day out. That day, watch your calories earlier/later in the day. Eat some fruit or drink water before you go so you aren't 'starving' when you get to the restaurant.
- Other things to consider. Don't drink alcohol before eating. For evenings at a friend's, bring a safe side dish from home to share with others.
- Think, When Harry Met Sally . Ask for lower-fat/calorie options cooked in a healthy way. For dressing, ask for them to be served on the side. Don't be afraid to ask for items that are not on the menu.
- Ask for the amounts you want. You can ask for a half serving. Or, just ask to box half of it up to take home. Also consider ordering just an appetizer or something from the children's menu.
- Be NICE. Be decisive, but not threatening.
- Be the first to order. Don't be influenced by those around you.
- Keep foods off the table. Have chips/salsa, bread, etc removed or place on the other side of the table where you can't reach them.
- Ask for your plate to be removed when you are finished eating. No picking on what's left!
- Watch Alcohol. There are often large amounts of empty calories and can cause you to let your guard down.
- If at a social gathering - stay away from the food table!
- You know what to do...
- Stay away from fried foods.
- Watch out for fatty sauces.
- Trim visible fat.
Where are your favorite places to eat? How will you change your habits to fit your new lifestyle?